One of the things I look forward to on the weekend is a lazy morning at home. Whether it’s a breakfast-in-bed kind of day or even Mother’s Day, this recipe for Gluten Free Almond Berry Waffles is a great one to have on hand! They are light, fluffy and full of berry goodness. Get the recipe below!
Mother’s Day is coming up and it has me feeling all the feels.
Why? Because my mom is one special lady. She is one of my biggest advocates and best friends. She is smart, funny, patient, full of love and encouragement. She has been with me through the greatest moments of my life and some of the hardest with open arms. No matter what, my mom is always there, and there is so much comfort in knowing this.
I am so blessed to have a mom to be able to look up to and role model after when we start our own family. I’ve already asked her to start teaching me her ways, as I’m anticipating the complexities, hardships and beauty that parenting brings!
My mom is the reason I love celebrating Mother’s Day so much. It means that I get to celebrate her and show her a small token of appreciation for all that she has done for me.
So for Mother’s Day, I have begun the tradition of hosting a brunch. My mom and I have a lot in common, but the thing we enjoy most is cooking and experimenting with new foods and flavors. So much so that we jump at the opportunity to take a cooking class wherever we are. We’ve participated in a one-week culinary boot camp in Colorado, a cooking class at the Natural Gourmet Institute in NYC, and we find local opportunities whenever we can! We even have a sushi making class coming up and I CAN’T WAIT.
For us, food is much more than what’s on our plate. It’s an experience, an adventure and a way to bring family and friends together for conversation around the table. Because of this, Mother’s Day brunch isn’t just about the spread of delicious eats. It’s about celebrating and honoring my mom, and serving her in a way that I know makes her feel appreciated.
This year for Mother’s Day brunch, I wanted to switch up the menu a bit and include waffles. But not just any waffles! My mom loves fruit of any kind and so I wanted to create a waffle recipe that featured two of the season’s most delicious fruits: blueberries and strawberries.
But it doesn’t stop there! To add even more flavor and deliciousness in every bite, I also added sliced almonds for a little crunch and some almond extract for even more almond-y goodness. Holy yum.
These gluten-free almond berry waffles would make for a delicious breakfast in bed, addition to your own Mother’s Day brunch menu, or to have on hand for a lazy weekend morning. You could also make a double batch and freeze them to have on busy weekday mornings!
As if there’s not already enough berry goodness going on in there, I like to top mine with some homemade berry chia jam. It’s super simple to make and with only 3 ingredients, you can’t go wrong. Get the recipe for chia jam, here!Print
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour (I use 1-to-1 flour)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to a small mixing bowl (eggs, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, coconut oil, almond milk) and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated. Fold in the sliced almonds, blueberries and strawberries.
- Heat a waffle iron and coat with cooking spray. Add 1/3 cup batter to each waffle section and cook through (timing varies with each waffle maker). Repeat until all of the batter is used up.
- Top with berry chia jam and fresh berries. Enjoy!
In honor of Mother’s Day, I asked my mom to pick her 5 favorite blog posts to share with you. See her favorite picks below!
- Mango Coconut Chia Pudding
- Why I Chose the Institute for Integrative Nutrition + Taking a Big Leap of Faith
- Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas
- Tips for Shopping on a Budget at Whole Foods